Sunday, April 7, 2013

Soon


The sounds of summer surround the atmosphere. The warm air feels good against my skin as I stand outside my small house in Burns Lake, British Columbia, Canada. I stare at the Acorn colored, chipped wood of our house. The nails are slowly peeling their way out of the walls, which I will have to repair soon. The floors creak, dust is collecting everywhere, and some of the furniture is older than my grandparents, but this is still our ideal home.
            I make my way up the small, cold stairs and turn the handle on the door. I drop my backpack, avoiding the large hole in the tile. The house feels empty, then again, it usually does. I walk out back to see my mother in a small, plastic lounge chair reading her romance books again.
            Over in the corner there is a rusty old swing set left from the previous owners that is just glazed with rain. The chains are breaking, the seats cracking, and bee’s nest adorn the underside of the slide. We won’t be able to use it for much longer, but a shiny new one just won’t fit in here.
            My mother looks up at me and smiles her pearly white smile, the only nice looking thing in our lives. I walk forward and give her a hug.
            “How was school Sean?” My mother asks calmly.
            “Its fine, I've gotten all my work done, so same as usual.”
            “Oh Sean, I’m so proud of you! You don’t know how much it means to me that you provide this example for your sister.
I smile and slither to the swing set. The rusty chains feel rough against my hands, but I hold on, as I sit there motionless on the swing. A breeze wisps around and whispers my name. My mother walks inside, her curly, strawberry blonde hair bouncing, and I follow, knowing we will be going to the lake soon. I can't wait for soon to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment